Putt-putt or mini-golf is a globally recognized kooky sport, played professionally by enthusiastic golfers. It is a competitive sport that challenges the player with different themes. WMF (World Mini Golf Sports Federation) is the official governing body of mini-golf and has over forty thousand registered players, representing over thirty countries. Before going into the details, we suggest you visit first the link to learn more about online casino gambling.
Interesting Facts about Putt-Putt
Putt-Putt has an interesting origin and several fun facts to discover. The trendy sport has several courses around the globe. And it is because mini golf is an engaging and fun activity that all can play. For the people curious to know how this game developed and how it all came, we have come up with a few interesting facts about putt-putt (mini-golf).
- The world’s oldest known mini-golf is in Scotland, named the Ladies Putting Club of St. Andrews. It is right next to a regular site of the British Open, St. Andrews Golf Course.
- Miniature golf has several names. Putt-putt, midget golf, crazy golf, shorties, mini-golf, goofy golf, and mini-putt are a few nicknames.
- In the initial years of mini-golf, there were no automated, fancy, or themes barriers. Instead, early courses featured rain gutters, pipes, old tires, barrels as fun obstacles to challenge the player’s skills.
- In 1916, the USA’s first recognizable miniature golf course, Thistle Dhu, opened at Pinehurst, California. The pronunciation of Thistle Dhu is “that’ll do.
- By the late 1920s, mini-golf gained significant popularity in the United States. New York alone had 150 mini-golf courses. And several of them were on the rooftops of high-rise, iconic buildings of the city. However, many of them closed after the Great Depression.
- On 21st September, people celebrate Miniature Golf Day all around the world. The sport has earned a special day to its name. It is an ideal opportunity to plan a putt-putt outing with your friends and family.
- Four WMF recognized mini-golf tournaments are Felt Golf, MOS (Mini Golf Open Standards), Miniature Golf, and Concrete Golf.
- Scandinavian countries were the first ones to introduce glow-in-the-dark mini-putt golf courses. These countries have long nights and short days; the glow-ball and glow-courses are a source of enjoyment all year round outdoors.
- In the mid-50s, the moving ramps and rotating windmills became a course standard.
The Invention of Mini-Golf Courses
We owe the Scots a salute for inventing this captivating, full-of-fun game in the beginning. No one knows the exact person who innovated mini-putt golf, but 1867 was the year of the Ladies Putting Club of St. Andrew’s creation. So, it has given the status of the first-known mini golf club in history.
The golf course was for women golfer- it had taken as a rebellion against the belief of the society at that time. However, the girls wanted to have fun, and it could not stop them. On the other hand, we recommend you visit the following link if you want to find out the best south africa online casino.
What Did The First Mini-Golf Courses Look Like This?
The first thing to know is that the first mini-putt golf course was not a colorful wonderland with loop de loops and motorized obstacles but more like a grass-patch. And the distance between the starting point of the putter and the hole was short.
The design remained the same until James Barber designed a miniature golf course in 1916 in North Carolina. Let us make you picture it; there were walkway patterns, gardens, and fountains- a complete showstopper for the golfers. You can call it the defining moment in the fascinating history of putt-putt golf.
And then the time came when the rooftop putting become a thing (in 1926). It all started when some lads in New York who get the idea to play mini-golf on the rooftop. And in a short span, it got the attention of people. And this led to the creation of 150 rooftop putt-putt courses in the following four years in New York.
History of Putt-Putt
Mini golf is a sport that people have been enjoying for decades. You can trace back the history of putt-putt to centuries. Several reasons make mini-golf well-admired by people all around the globe. It is a substantial idea for a first date, family-friendly outing, and a few businesses even use this sport as a team-building activity.
The origins of miniature golf remained a debated topic among historians for years. As per evidence, you can trace back the origin of mini-golf to China. And it was between a period of 937 and 975 AD. Meanwhile, as per Dutch historians, mini-golf originated around 1297 in Denmark. Moreover, the French professors claimed that this sport is evolved from pallemail.
Pallemail is an activity which was well-known in the country. The scholars in Germany, the United States, Scotland, Mexico, and several other countries made the same claim. Although no one knows the true origin of mini-golf, this sport captured the mind and hearts of infinite people worldwide for years. This is what makes it a potentially-lucrative and unique game.
Aside from the world origin of mini-golf, it is easier to trace the history of putt-putt in the United States. For example, outside Chattanooga, Tennessee, Garnet Carter opened his smaller version of a golf course in the 1920s. The interest in this sport started increasing locally as well as internationally.
As per the US Commerce Department’s estimation, there were 25,000 mini golf courses across the US by 1930. All through, the number of mini-golf courses shrunk. However, it remained a great way to spend quality time with family and friends.
A miniature golf course is a novel business idea. It can easily turn into a thriving and growing operation in a short time. The initial step is to partner with reputable and trusted putt-putt golf course builders.
Good Clean Fun
The versatility of the activity is the prime reason for the long-lasting popularity of miniature golf courses. It is ideal for a relaxing vacation, a bonding experience with co-workers, and a great entertainment option. Moreover, mini-golf is affordable; it is for the generation of all ages and practically guarantees excitement and fun.
From a business point of view, mini-golf courses offer the potential for long-term growth and are cost-effective. It is because the maintenance and equipment purchase is reasonable. You can run mini-golf courses with a minimum of staff members. To ensure your mini-golf design is eye-catching, fun, unique, and challenging, you can reach out to proven mini-golf course builders.
All the early legends in the history of putt-putt deserve appreciation. It is because of them we are enjoying this phenomenal mini-golf course. It is a sport that anyone can play with any financial status. Mini-golf courses are super affordable and fun. Our busy lives make it almost impossible to spend time with our close ones and have a day full of enjoyment with them.
So, for that, you can take your loved ones and friends there and spend quality time with them. We have tried to give a brief putt-putt history, so you know how it all started. These days, a lot of us want entertainment that is fun and pocket friendly. You will get all in mini-golf course. If you have not visited a mini-golf course yet, you must have a tour with your family or friends.